Eggs-ellent Holiday Recipes
Pancake Gift Mix and Apple Pancakes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 to 5 minutes
Makes: 9 pancakes for each half of dry mixture
DRY PANCAKE MIX
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup diced dried apples
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups Dry Pancake Mix
- For Dry Pancake Mix, COMBINE all ingredients in a clear 2-quart container with a tight fitting lid. COVER with lid. STORE in a cool dry place until ready to give as a gift.
- For Apple Pancakes, COMBINE milk, egg and oil in a medium mixing bowl.
- WHISK in 1-1/2 cups of the dry mix until batter is moistened but still has small lumps in it.
- Meanwhile, SPRAY a griddle or large skillet with cooking spray. HEAT on medium-high heat.
- PORTION mixture using a 1/4 cup measure for each pancake onto cooking surface.
- COOK 1 to 2 minutes per side or until bubbles appear on surface. TURN and continue cooking until surface is light golden brown.
- Attach a festive recipe card with dry mix ingredients and additional ingredients needed to make the pancakes to the container before giving.
- Serve pancakes with maple syrup or your favorite pancake syrup.
- Dry mix can be prepared and held in container up to 2 weeks before giving as a gift.
Nutrition information per serving (1 pancake): 143 calories; 4g total fat; 1g saturated fat; 2g polyunsaturated fat; 2g monounsaturated fat; 23mg cholesterol; 418mg sodium; 23g carbohydrate; 1g dietary fiber; 4g protein; 52.8IU Vitamin A; 4.8IU Vitamin D; 42.0mcg folate; 70.4mg calcium; 1mg iron; 21.9mg choline.
- 4 eggs
- 1 (18.25-oz) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (12-ounce) container frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed and divided
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin orange sections, drained
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ -1/2 cup orange juice or water
- COMBINE cake mix, eggs, 1 cup of orange juice concentrate, orange sections and oil in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes or until well blended.
- COAT miniature muffin tins with vegetable spray. SPOON batter into muffin cups.
- BAKE in a preheated 350F oven for 10 minutes.
- Place a cooling rack over parchment paper. COOL mini cupcakes slightly, loosen and gently remove to a cooling rack.
- REPEAT with remaining batter.**
- In a bowl COMBINE powdered sugar, ½ cup of orange juice concentrate and ¼-1/2 cup orange juice or water. Beat until smooth.
- DIP each mini cupcake in glaze and drain on cooling rack.
Yield: 7-8 dozen mini cupcakes.
**Cupcakes may be frozen, thawed and then dipped in the glaze.